9.19.2012

Words of encouragement

It's been a stressful week so far to say the least.  But that's what happens in college, right?  Even though I hardly feel like the typical college student.

Stress factor #1: This nasty cold/sinus infection I've been fighting knowing that my half marathon is in three short days.  In cold, possibly rainy, weather.  And the fact that, because I've been sick, I have done zero workouts this week.
Stress factor #2:  A pharmaceutical drug presentation in Chemistry, but as of today, that is DONE!  Hooray!
Stress factor #3:  My first Microboiology exam of the semester coming up tomorrow.
Stress factor #4:  The fast-approaching deadline for my UW application.

For some, this might not seem like a lot.  But when it comes to schoolwork, I get anxious quite easily.  I'm truly afraid of giving myself an ulcer.  I know I need to relax some, so in times of need, I give myself little pep talks.  Normally, just little phrases to keep myself going and ensure myself that I will make it through!  

Some of my favorites...
  • Take it one step at a time.  Or one day.  Or one assignment.  Or one class.  You get the gist.
  • Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. :)
  • I also like to remind myself that I'm not the only one in this boat.  And actually, compared to some others, my boat is pretty darn awesome.  So many other students are working three jobs, plus going to school full time.  Or have kids at home to take care of.  I have me.  (And David, but he's pretty self-reliant.)  If those people can do it, I can do it.
It's kind of nice seeing my personal "cheers" written down, I recommend making a list of your own for when things get hectic.


My favorite blue tang, Dory.
One thing helping me out this week, besides my Chem-class friend, are big, make-ahead meals.  I stayed home from class on Monday in case my face exploded from the sinus pressure, and I was surprisingly productive.  I made a big batch of this veggie quinoa salad I found in my Women's Health magazine.  They used wheat berries but I couldn't find them at the grocery store.  So instead, I substituted quinoa because I've cooked with it before and like the taste.  It says it makes four servings, but those would be some big servings.  I figure I can get about seven out of it.  I brought this salad with an apple for lunch yesterday and was plenty full!

The other life-saving recipe I made this week was found over at Taste of Home.  It's a Greek pasta bake and is full of vegetables!  Plus they are huge portions so you definitely won't go hungry.  David really liked it too, it was hard to keep him away from it even after we were finished eating.

If you have a favorite (healthy) casserole dish, crock-pot recipe or other make-ahead meal I'd love to hear it!  I only have time for cooking about two nights a week so I need all the help I can get.

Back to the homework I go!

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of writing personal "cheers" to yourself. I like to write positive affirmations to myself in my journal (sounds totally corny, but it works). Then when I'm having a rough day I can look at them and remind myself of all the great things in my life. You have a beautiful writing voice, Ellen. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete