2.27.2013

Why I'm doing what I'm doing

Photo credit: Food Inc.

There are plenty of kids who grow up knowing exactly what they want to be when they get older.  Perhaps a teacher, a lawyer or maybe a nurse.  I was never one of those kids.  Now that's not to say I didn't have dreams when I was little; I had always wanted to be an artist and when I graduated high school that dream wasn't entirely lost.  At that point I wanted to be a photographer, but after taking some photography classes post-high school, I soon realized I'm not the type of person who can make a career out of a hobby.  As soon as I do, it just isn't fun.  

Fast forward a few years, I thought I wanted to go into nursing.  I had become a licensed esthetician and wanted to take it one step further by getting my nursing degree in order to pursue the dermatology field.  Then one day I was sitting in my Anatomy and Physiology 2 class while we were discussing nutrition and digestion.  All of a sudden, it hit me.  I didn't want to be a nurse.  It just wasn't meant for me.

Afterwards, I did my research and eventually came across dietetics.  How I never knew of it's existence beforehand, I still don't know.  But I do know I have never been more excited to be in school because my heart is finally in it.  I truly believe that the health problems we do or don't have, are strongly associated with the foods we eat and unfortunately not enough people take it seriously.  I want to change that.  I want to change the way people look at food.  I want to help them learn to enjoy it the right way.  I want to help kids grow up making healthy choices.  Mostly, I want to make a difference.

So enough about me, what about you.  What do you want to do?   

No comments:

Post a Comment