4.23.2012

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

I survived!!  Thanks to Kelly Clarkson and some other good tunes :)

Here's the verdict on the CLIF energy shot:  It's comparable to eating three spoonfuls of straight jelly.  And I for one do not enjoy eating straight jelly.  With that being said, my run felt pretty great!  But I'm sure the sunshine-y weather helped!

I follow Bob Harper (Biggest Loser, anybody?) on Facebook.  The other day he had a post about a breakfast smoothie.  I've been using it as a post-run smoothie to refuel.  Recipe is as follows:


  • 3/4 cups oats
  • 1 1/2 cups berries
  • 1 scoop protein powder
  • 12 ounces milk or water
  • Note: this makes 2 servings.
The fruit all ready to go!
Today instead of all berries I used half of a frozen banana and 1/4 cup blueberries.  I have vegetable protein powder but don't care for the taste that it gives.  I need to get a flavored powder if I choose to buy another can of it.  For now, I mixed one part of the protein powder with one part Ovaltine.  I also soak the oats overnight to make it nice and thick.  Let me tell you, my smoothie today was delicious!!!  

Yummy in a jar.
After long runs like today's, I don't do any "extras" (i.e. abs, weights, etc).  Today I just did some good stretching, my legs definitely needed it!  A nice hot shower always feels great on the muscles as well. :)

I must say, it can be very hard to get myself started when I know nine miles lies ahead of me.  But what I've learned throughout this training process, is that incorporating healthy eating and regular exercise has to be something that you want.  Other people can want it for you, but other people can't do it for you.  You really have to be self motivated, and for me, there are plenty of reasons to take care of myself!!  Slowly but surely it becomes habit.

Here's to a good week!




No comments:

Post a Comment