4.23.2012

It's a beautiful morning!

It really is.  We've been having some chilly weather here in Wisconsin, but today looks like it actually might turn out nice.  Not the 70 degree weather I'm hoping for, but I'll take it!

I guess I haven't mentioned yet that I'm in the middle of training for a half marathon.  It's coming up in about four weeks.  David is also training for it, so that helps to keep me going.  Today will be my longest run yet, 9 miles!!  Ooh boy, my legs get tired just thinking about it.  But I just finished my pre-run breakfast of a mini bagel with some peanut butter, a small dish of applesauce with cinnamon and a small cup of coffee.  I don't always drink coffee before a run but I recently read that it might actually help with endurance.  I've never had a problem with it (stomach-wise) before running so I thought today would be a good day to enjoy some beforehand.

I've also been trying some of the "energy gels" to see which one I like best for the big day.  So far I've used Gatorade's Prime.  My biggest concern is how it affects my stomach, not necessarily how well it works because who knows, it might just be the placebo effect.  I didn't have any trouble with Prime, my only complaint is that it's such a big pouch, I felt like I was ingesting quite a bit right before my run.  With that being said, my 8 mile run went well and I felt good throughout.




Today I'm trying CLIF's version.  It's a much smaller portion so I'm excited about that.  They had two flavors (I'm sure more are available, but I just happened to see them at Wal-Mart and this is what they had), Mocha and Razz.  I went with the Razz.  Even though I like coffee, I didn't know if I'd like a mocha flavored gel shot.  For me, the fruity flavors are always a safe bet.

Now it's time to work on some math homework while breakfast digests.  I also need to get my run mapped out.  For you runners out there, if you haven't used MapMyRun, I highly recommend it.

Wish me luck on my NINE miles!!  Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment