3.20.2013

"Hungry for Change"

A couple of months ago, David and I made the brave decision to get rid of cable.  I decided to sign up for Netflix though because sometimes you just need to veg out.  Plus, I love all of the documentaries they have to offer, especially the food-related ones.

Last night I had the house to myself so I decided to watch one of the many options I have saved on my "Instant Queue."  Hungry For Change was the winner.  Every now and then I am going to give a movie review for some of these documentaries.  Here is the first:

Overall, I enjoyed the film.  It got me thinking and it inspired me to make some small changes in my own routine (like juicing one day a week).  What I didn't like was that they kept comparing sugar to dangerous drugs like cocaine and heroine.  I understand, and for the most part agree, that sugar can be addictive for many of us.  However, I don't think it's comparable to drugs such as those previously mentioned.  Life is short, and sometimes you just need something sweet (but please don't do drugs).

Several of the interviewees seemed to suggest also cutting grains out because carbohydrates are broken down into sugar during digestion.  I also disagree with this.  First of all, we need carbohydrates and the right grains (whole grains) can be good for you.  Whole wheat bread, brown rice, quinoa, etc.-- they have fiber to fill us up and improve our colon health.  Second of all, I don't like restrictive diets because when people restrict things, especially food, it tends to only make them crave it more.  After all, you want what you can't have.  I believe that people can maintain a healthy lifestyle by consuming just about everything in moderation, hence, "My moderation & me."  

As always, these are my own opinions.  If you haven't seen Hungry for Change, I encourage you to watch it and decide for yourself.  If you have seen it, what did you think?  

For more information go to HungryForChange.tv.

No comments:

Post a Comment